How to Qualify and Apply for Social Security DisabilityIf you need assistance coping with a disabling injury or condition, help is available. The Social Security Administration offers Disability benefits for those who are unable to earn enough to support themselves because of a disability. Review the information on this page to determine if you are eligible for benefits and how to apply for them.
The Social Security Disability lawyers of the Coye Law Firm can help you in any step of the benefits process. Call our offices today to speak with a member of our knowledgeable staff about your questions or concerns and to schedule your free consultation.
ProgramsDisabled individuals can receive benefits from the SSA through two programs: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability (SSD). SSD may also be referred to as Disability Insurance Benefits, or DIB.
In general, a person qualifies for SSD if:
- they have a physical or mental disability (or combination) that prevents them from engaging in "substantial gainful activity" (SGA)
- their condition is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death
- they are under the age of 65
- they have worked 5 out of the last 10 years from the determined date of disability onset
- have a physical or mental disability (or combination) that prevents them from engaging in "substantial gainful activity" (SGA)
- have a condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death
- be under the age of 65
- have limited income and resources
Use the SSA's Benefits Eligibility Screening Tool to estimate how much financial assistance the program can provide for you and your family.
How to ApplyApply for benefits as soon as you qualify. This means as soon as you become disabled, or if applying for your child, as soon as you are aware of their condition.
The Social Security Administration has an online system for applying for benefits, although SSI applicants must meet in person with a representative to apply fully. Choose your program to get started:
Apply online for Disability Benefits (Application & Adult Disability Report).
Apply online for Supplemental Security Income (Adult Disability Report only). Call 1-800-772-1213 to set up an in-person or telephone meeting.
Apply online for Child Disability Benefits .
The Coye Law Firm is dedicated to helping individuals and families get the assistance and protection they are entitled to. If you have questions, concerns, or complaints about the disability benefits process, our disability attorneys can help you communicate with the SSA. Call our offices to speak with a helpful member of our staff who can put you on the path to claiming the benefits you need.
Your Free Case Review
FREE Disability DownloadsRead our white papers on Social Security Disability:
Call our offices for a FREE CONSULTATION!