Translate this Page
Subscribe to our Newsletter
FREE Disability DownloadsRead our white papers on Social Security Disability:
Call our offices for a FREE CONSULTATION!
Your Rights as a Disability Applicant
When you apply for disability benefits, you may think about what you can and cannot legally do. For example, can a person hire a representative to fill out their application on their behalf? Is the applicant's personal information safe? This page discusses your rights as an applicant and beneficiary under the Supplemental Security Income and Social Security Disability programs.
The Coye Law Firm wants to help you get all of the disability benefits that you are legally entitled to. A denied claim can be difficult to deal with and knowing your rights is a good way to approach communicating with the Social Security Administration.
Your rights are to:
- apply for benefits free of charge
- get help from the SSA to fill out the application forms and get documents you need
- have someone help you with your claim and have that person go with you when you visit the Social Security office
- be represented by an attorney or other qualified person of your choice
- ask to see or get copies of the information in your records
- get a letter that will tell you what the SSA determines which benefits you can get and how much they will pay you
- appeal most decisions the SSA makes about whether you can get SSI or how much you can get
- have the assistance of an interpreter if you do not speak English well enough to communicate
- get help from the SSA in obtaining your medical records
- get copies about the law, regulations, or policy statements used to decide your claim
After you are approved for disability benefits, you want to make sure that you notify the Social Security Administration whenever a major change occurs in your life. We've outlined your responsibilities to report these changes at another page on our website.
Your rights and responsibilities in a disability claim may be confusing or overwhelming. The disability lawyers at the Coye Law Firm can help you understand what you need to do in order to win a claim and get the most benefits you can. Call us today.